Friday, April 26, 2013

Wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles!

Today I experienced a bona fide miracle. This morning I went with the sister missionaries from my church to a lesson they were teaching at someone's house. The lesson was great. The girl they were teaching was awesome. As we were leaving after the hour-long lesson, I was thinking, "This is probably the best experience I've ever had accompanying the missionaries on one of their lessons."

Then I reached in my bag for my keys.

Not there.

I searched the floor around where my purse had been sitting.

Not there.

I started to panic, thinking I had locked my keys in my car. We all walked out to our cars, and from several feet away I could see that the keys were sitting right in the ignition. I walked a few feet closer, and saw that I had left my doors all unlocked.

That's right. I left my keys in my ignition with the doors unlocked for an HOUR. I might as well have hung a sign that said, "Please, come steal me!"

It was a miracle that my car was not stolen. It was also a miracle that I had left the doors unlocked so that the missionaries didn't have to cancel their next appointment to drive me home to get a spare key. In all my years driving I have NEVER accidentally left my keys in the car and (almost) NEVER left my car unlocked.

This incident may seem like a small thing, but had it gone differently it would have been a VERY big thing. That is why I truly believe I was being watched over today.

This experience reminded me of a scripture that I really like. It's Mormon 9:18-19 (from the Book of Mormon, obviously):

 18  And who shall say that Jesus Christ did not do many mighty miracles? And there were many mighty miracles wrought by the hands of the apostles.
 19  And if there were miracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being? And behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles.

I, for one, believe in a God of miracles.

P.S. Shamra, I dedicate this post to you. I know you are going to be an excellent missionary.

3 comments:

  1. Amy, I love your blog! You are the best, and I am so happy your car wasn't stolen. May the force always be with you, amica!! (shout out to our Italian past and the beginings of our friendship!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post :)

    Also, I've totally left my keys in the ignition with all the doors unlocked.... not my proudest moment. But thank goodness for a merciful Heavenly Father who lets us realize our mistakes like this instead of by finding our car is stolen and gone!

    ReplyDelete